Thursday, June 18, 2009

Software 3.0 and iHudLite Revisited

Yesterday, Apple released an update to their iPhone Software. In my day's use, the only features that have come in handy are spotlight and cut and paste. Eventually I'll get around to syncing a calender, and as soon as I find a free IM app that uses push, you'll be the first to know.


Cut and paste work, for the most part. For user input fields, text selection is a breeze. For canned text on a webpage, like in the image to the right, it took a bit of effort to get that particular block of text selected. Originally it wanted to select the entire message, but I finally convinced it to let me select only part. I never could get the right (ending) selector to move.


Spotlight is nice, too. It'll find a lot of things on your phone, but it won't search through emails. It's great for finding a specific app among the eight pages of other apps you have. Apple also did a good job of making it easy to find; you can even set it up so that double-clicking the home button goes there, for those who prefer typing to swiping. Search happens in real-time, so there's no need to type a full name if you can narrow down what you want. Oddly enough, there's no landscape mode for this, although I've read nice things about it in other apps. I'm a portrait keyboarder, personally. My thumbs are small enough that I don't mind sacrificing width for a few more lines of view.


iHudLite has a new version out that fixes an annoyance of the previous version: the speed displayed was too small. I'll write more tomorrow, but for now, here are some pictures of the latest version.

No comments:

Post a Comment