Friday, June 19, 2009

iHudLite Update

iHUDisplay Lite has a new version in the App Store. The main feature improvement is that instead of the crowded speed-heading-altitude display, it's now possible to display only speed. This makes it much easier (and safer) to read while driving. I did, however, notice that the speed on my speedometer (which is digital) and the speed given by the app almost never agreed.

During steady driving, the speed was usually only off by a mile an hour or two, but during acceleration and deceleration the speed lagged by a couple of seconds. For this reason, this app should probably not be used as a primary speedometer, but would be handy for the person reading the map.

I neglected to mention in my older post that the app has a speed alarm. Basically you can set it to go off if the registered speed goes above a certain limit. Handy if you're a leadfoot. If you set it while stopped (you DO only mess with your phone while stopped, right?) it works pretty well. I noticed that when I changed settings while driving (in a very safe manner), the set speed for the speed alarm changed to whatever my speed was at the time. The alarm is quite loud, for the record.

The only other bug I noticed was in the placement of the Ad. During normal driving, it's not much of a problem, although it can be a small white box reflecting on your windshield. In the settings, though, at times the ad covers the "Done" button, which means you have to exit the app and restart it to get back to your speed. An annoyance, but how often do you change settings, anyways?

I've emailed the developers about the bugs, hopefully they'll be fixed in the next version.

No comments:

Post a Comment